List archive Help

Re: [koruza] Nice project!

  • From: Paul Gardner-Stephen < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [koruza] Nice project!
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:34:53 +0930

Hello Caleb,

The idea of disabling the ethernet FCS to use FEC to increase throughput is an interesting one.

I recently did some work on ethernet implementing ethernet TX and RX on an FPGA where I was looking for an ethernet card where I could turn off all hardware FCS and CRC checks to help debug the development. I didn't find any.  I didn't think to check openwrt/atheros if it was possible.

Even if it proves to not be possible to disable this in the atheros ethernet driver, it would be feasible to make an ethernet stack on an FPGA board that completely ignored the FCS, and even implement some sort of network coding at the hardware level.  With my existing work on making a working ethernet tranceiver, this wouldn't be too hard to do.

Paul.